The first ECHDO meeting was organised by the German Bundesverband Herzkranke Kinder e.V. and supported by German Kompetenznetz Angeborene Herzfehler.
- Eva-Luise Köhler, First Lady and patroness of ACHSE (Alliance of chronically rare diseases) sent words of welcome, saying that she esteemed the idea of a European network as a very important one. She also asked ECHDO to help solving existing problems especially in the research of CHD.
- The patroness of the Kompetenznetz Angeborene Herzfehler, Friede Springer, congratulated the representatives on their European idea.
- Dr. Gabriele Hausdorf from the German ministry of research and education is also supporting the network and said she was convinced that it should be used as a model for other chronic congenital disease organisations.
- Dr. András Szatmári, PhD, Hungary, President of the Association for European Paediatric Cardiology (AEPC) said he was looking forward to achieving standardised treatment and education of doctors within Europe with the support of patients groups.
- Lastly Prof. Hans Heiner Kramer, Kiel, president of the German Association of Paediatric Cardiology, underlined the importance of the united self-help-organisations as a pressure group in the struggle for improved treatment of CHD.